We’ve just completed a major update to the server!
26th May 2011
We’ve just completed a major update to the server! See below for details…
Improvements to PubMed comparisons
- When more than half of the authors are different, Merops alerts the whole name list, rather than alerting each name.
- Merops no longer alerts unknown journal titles in a reference that links to PubMed (if the journal title is the same).
- Merops no longer alerts unmatched words, if that word was found in the article on PubMed (with the same capitalization).
- A number of false alerts have been fixed.
- Merops can automatically update author initials, if the only difference is that PubMed has more initials, e.g. Jones, ABABC. This requires a Standard Set update, so you should see this happening by next week.
- Merops can automatically update author names if the only difference is that PubMed has an accented character, e.g. AntonanzasAntoñanzas. This requires a Standard Set update, so you should see this happening by next week. Please let us know if there are other occasions where you would like Merops to automatically change a reference to conform to PubMed.
- Comments on names are localized to given names or family names, to help you see the difference more quickly.
- Comments on article titles have highlighting, to show where the difference is, helping you find it faster.
Responses to feedback and error fixes and improvements
We’ve made over 2,000 other improvements since the February update - some big but mostly small. These include:
- Improved matching of abbreviations and capitalized terms
- Improved header recognition
- Improved recognition of heading hierarchy
- Preservation of table lines and cell shading as used by the author (an option to standardize these is now in development)
- Preservation of field codes
- Preservation of highlighting and colour
- Initial processing is 5% faster than ever before